February 18, 2012

Chocolates

Not just chocolate, but chocolates.

I was in The Chef's Hat with my Mum and we saw these lovely silicone chocolate moulds.  We got one.

Commence the chocolate-making!


I had gianduja and hazelnuts lying around in the cupboard, and an excess of chocolate, so I decided to do gianduja chocolates - something like a Baci.
Mum and I tempered the chocolate (not as traumatising an experience as expected) then painted the edges and bottom of the moulds with it.  Then we plopped a hazelnut in the bottom.  In hindsight, it would have been better to let the first layer of chocolate set, then add another layer so that the outside was thicker.


I let the outside set in the fridge and warmed up the gianduja.



We transferred the gianduja into a Ziploc bag for ease of piping, then filled the moulds almost to the top.


Let them set...then piped some more chocolate on top as the base.


After it hardened a little, I scraped the extra chocolate off the top.


I wasn't totally successful - I probably should've run the palette knife around the sides of the moulds to make sure the edges were cleaner.


However, slightly ratty edges aside, they unmoulded beautifully!



I had a bit of a gleeful fit at this point.


Good news; they tasted amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment