July 25, 2014
Funny story - the original recipe for this cake lists ingredients for the cake and syrup in one list, combining amounts of sugar and lemon juice. So I, like a fruitcake who didn't read the recipe properly, added all the lemon juice to the cake and didn't realise until I started making the syrup. Luckily it turned out okay, though the cake was a little sour...
For you, however, I've split the recipe into cake and syrup so you won't have the difficulties I did!
Recipe adapted from: Homestyle Cookies, Muffins & Cakes
Ingredients - cake (23 cm (9 inch) round cake)
250g caster sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
95g almond meal
2 tbsp self-raising flour
Ingredients - syrup
75mL lemon juice
60g caster sugar
Method - cake
1. Preheat the oven to 170C (325F).
2. Separate the eggs, set the egg whites aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest until thick and pale.
4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form.
5. Combine the semolina, almond meal and flour in a separate bowl.
6. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then fold the semolina mixture in, and finally the rest of the egg whites.
7. Line a 23cm round cake tin with baking paper and butter the sides. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about 35 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
8. Let the cake cool, and poke lots of holes in the top in preparation for the syrup so that it can sink in.
Method - syrup
1. Place the syrup ingredients (water, lemon juice and sugar) into a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Turn the heat up and let the mixture simmer until thick and syrupy (about 3 minutes).
3. Make sure that your cake is on the plate you're serving it on, then pour the hot syrup over the cake.
4. Serve with cream and dusted with icing sugar.