I don't lie. These cupcakes really do take 10 minutes to whip up, then a couple minutes more to get them baked. Mum made these cupcakes with an orange flavour super fast for afternoon tea and I snapped some photos.
Recipe Source: How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla esscence
2 - 3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Add all the ingredients except the milk into a food processor. Whizz until smooth.
3. Pulse while adding milk down the funnel to make the batter a soft, dropping consistency. Instead of milk, Mum used a whole orange.
4. Line a muffin tin with patty pans and spoon the mixture into them. Try to make sure there is an even amount of batter in each little cupcake. We made some mini bite sized ones and some bigger ones.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden and the cupcakes spring back when touched.
6. When cool enough to touch without really hurting yourself, remove the cupcakes from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
7. For non orange cupcakes, top them with royal icing or buttercream. We ate our orange cupcakes plain or with a bit of whipped cream.
Our cupcakes were light, fluffy and sponge-cake like. They were also delicious and really hit the spot after our swim.
Tips and Suggestions
- If, like us, you want to chuck an orange in then you might want to use some extra flour to make the cupcake more dense.