La la la la, la la la la, Elmo's wooooooooorld...
I made these Elmo Cupcakes for a 3 year-old's birthday.
Recipe Source: Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'
Ingredients - Cupcakes
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g self raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 - 3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Blend all ingredients except for milk in a food processor.
3. Add milk while pulsing to combine.
4. Add cocoa or other flavouring/colour if desired.
5. Line a 12 space muffin/cupcake tin with patty pans.
6. Spoon batter into the patty pans, make sure there is an even amount in each.
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
After baking the cupcakes, I whipped up some simple buttercream - a pleasant change from the more complex French version I've been making recently.
Ingredients - Buttercream
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1. Beat butter until soft and white.
2. Add icing sugar and beat.
3. Add milk and beat until a spreadable consistency. If needed, add more milk.
4. Add food colouring and combine.
We then tinted some fondant black, and rolled it out thinly. Using a circular cookie cutter, we cut out big circles from the fondant then cut them in half for Elmo's mouth.
He's a bit cute, huh? Mum tweaked the rest of the black semicircles up at the corners so Elmo would look more smiley.
[Insert frenzied fondanting here]
That aside - apparently everyone liked the cupcakes at the birthday girl's party, and they were recognisable as Elmo. (Phew!)