These brownies are a combination of fudgy chocolate and tangy coffee-tinged cream cheese goodness. Absolutely amazing!
Recipe adapted from: Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
Ingredients - brownies (17 x 26 cm (6.5 x 10 inch))
1 recipe Steve Ritual brownies (omit the nuts)
Ingredients - cream cheese swirl
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp water
225g cream cheese
65g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F) and line a 22cm (9 inch) square tin or equivalent with baking paper.
2. Prepare the brownie batter (see this method).
3. Spread all but about 1/2 cup of the batter in the baking tin.
4. Combine the instant coffee with the water in a small bowl. I used hot water for this.
5. Mix the cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla until smooth. This is easy to do since the cream cheese is soft, so I did it by hand.
6. Stir the egg and the coffee mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Beat until smooth.
7. Spoon dollops of the coffee batter and the reserved brownie batter onto the top of the batter that's already in the tin. Make sure that the dollops are nicely separated so that the brown and white colours are alternating.
8. Using a knife, gently swirl through the dollops back and forth (just dip the knife in, don't push it all the way down to the bottom of the baking tin). Swirl as you like until a nice pattern forms - keeping in mind that if you mess with it too much, the colours will blend together and won't look as good.
10. When the brownies are done, set the tin straight into the ice bath and leave to chill.
11. Cut into rectangles or squares and enjoy!