Recipe adapted from: Bakerita
113g cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp white sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup Nutella
1/4 cup raspberry jam (optional)
Milk and white sugar (to brush on top of the pastries)
1. Combine the butter, cream cheese, flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl (I used my stand mixer). Mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
2. Press the dough into a rectangular lump. Wrap it in cling wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
3. When you're ready to bake the rugelach, preheat the oven to 175C (350F).
4. Cut the dough into 2 portions and, on a floured surface, roll them out into a large rectangle.
5. Spread the dough with the Nutella, then top with the raspberry jam. (Alternatively, you can just use Nutella!)
7. Put the logs into the freezer for around 15 minutes to make them easier to cut up.
8. When the logs are chilled, brush them with some milk and sprinkle with some white sugar. Cut the logs into equal pieces about 2.5cm (1 inch) wide. Place the slices upright on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicon mat.
10. Allow the rugelach to cool on wire racks.