But for now, I have a lovely little recipe which is simple, tasty and always a crowd pleaser. Hedgehogs!
Ingredients - base
175g butter or margarine
135g caster sugar
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1/2 cup nuts (optional - I usually use walnuts)
250g packet of Marie biscuits (if you can't find Marie biscuits, use any kind of sweet dip-in-tea kind of things - Milk Arrowroots are OK)
Ingredients - topping
250g dark chocolate
50g butter or margarine
1. Put biscuits in a plastic ziploc bag and bash the crap outta them with a rolling pin. Ahem. However, make sure it's not dust when you're done, leave some nice chunks that are about 1/4 the size of the whole biscuit.
2. Melt butter, sugar and cocoa and stir until the sugar dissolves. The microwave is your friend.
3. Make sure the mixture is not too hot then add the egg, coconut, biscuits, and nuts if you're using them. Mix. Ensure the biscuits are all covered in the chocolatey mixture.
4. Line a 28 x 18cm pan or equivalent with baking paper, then pour in the mixture and press it down.
5. Put it in the fridge and let it chill for 1 hour, or until firm.
6. When the base it adequately hardened, melt the chocolate and butter for the topping together and mix until combined and smooth.
7. Spread over the base then let it all chill in the fridge again for about 20 minutes.
8. Cut into squares (or any shape you want, really) with a hot knife.