August 2, 2013

Moist Banana Bread with choc chips and pecans


Ahh, bananas.  To tell the truth, I don't like to eat them on their own and my brother absolutely loathes them.  Occasionally, however, my grandmother guiltily hands me a few brown-spotted soft bananas and mumbles something about baking, and I sigh but I do what I must.  What I must do is bake banana bread.  In the past, the recipe I've used is this one; but my Mum requested 'moist banana bread' so, as a dutiful daughter, I consulted Google and Google brought forth this recipe to me.

Boy, is it a winner.  The other recipe is definitely quicker and easier to make, but the extra couple of steps for this one are definitely worth it.  Moist, check; delicious, check; my banana-hating brother will eat it, check.

Recipe adapted from: The Redhead Riter
Ingredients - 11 x 21 cm (4 x 8 inch) loaf
125g butter
250g white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
255g flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp sale
2 ripe/overripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
60g pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C (350 F).  Beat butter and sugar until creamy.

2. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.  Add vanilla and mix in.

3. Add the flour, bicarb soda and salt to the batter and mix gently until combined.

4. Mash the bananas with a fork then add them to the batter along with the sour cream.  Mix until combined.

5. Add the pecans and chocolate chips to the batter and combine.  The chocolate chips aren't in the original recipe, but I am guilty of adding chocolate to everything.

6. Pour the batter into a loaf tin lined with baking paper and bake for about 1.5 hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.  The top of the banana bread will go quite brown, but mine didn't burn at all, so don't worry!



7. Cool the banana bread in the tin and then consume at your leisure.  Mum likes to spread butter on it, but it's beautiful on its own as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment