June 18, 2014
This is a lovely cake; easy to make, moist and with a fresh tangy lemon icing. The toasted almonds garnished on top bring it all together.
Recipe adapted from: The Australian Women's Weekly Cakes & Slices Cookbook
Ingredients - cake (20 cm (8 inch) cake)
188g caster sugar
80g self-raising flour (or use 80g plain flour and 1 tsp of baking powder)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
185g almond meal
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Ingredients - lemon icing
185g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Method - cake
1. Preheat oven to 190C (375F). Wash, peel and grate the apple.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
4. Fold in the flour, cocoa powder, almond meal and grated apple.
5. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper or butter and spread the batter into it.
6. Bake the cake for about 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool in the tin for a bit before turning it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Method - icing
1. Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar (sifted for smoothest results) and beat until incorporated.
3. Add the lemon juice and mix until the icing is spreadable. Use a little more lemon juice if needed.
4. Spread the icing onto the cake to your liking.
5. For garnish, toast the sliced almonds (you can use slivered almonds if you prefer) and sprinkle them onto the cake once they've cooled.